Happy September! Can you believe we’re in the final run of the year already? As of this morning, I am officially off to Rhode Island with my sister Tyler. We’ll be in a car together for most of labor day weekend,but luckily we planned out some fun stops along the way to make the trip a little bit worth it. Moving to a new city brings all sorts of emotions forward - being terrified is pretty up there - but mostly, I’m excited for a new start. I love new starts and clean slates. Mondays, months, semesters, seasons, years, whatever it may be, I love the idea that everything is always ever changing.
This school year is bringing changes for me too. I have a major change and a shift from culinary classes to real life college classes. No longer do I get to spend my days baking bread or cakes, but now I have to spend it doing financial accounting and an introduction to excel (you read that right, I have to take into to excel as a junior). But I’m so ready to be a student again. I’ve been home since March on my internship at the bakery and then spent my summer here, so it’s been some time.
I'm so excited for a fresh perspective and a new environment!
- Pantone’s fall colors: NYC or London
- Monet’s ‘Weeping Willow’ is one of the only pieces of art I brought with me to hang up on my dorm’s walls. I love the greens and the purple accents that come through, but I will miss seeing it in person in FTW
- The thought of growing food in my apartment. I wish I had a green thumb, but alas, I even kill cacti
- Look at this studio!! How picture perfect! I’ve been pinning a lot of studio spaces recently out of pure jealousy.
- I’ve been drying and pressing a lot of the flowers that I buy recently and putting them into my journal. I love the life they bring to a page.
- Snapdragons are in season! Hold onto summer with a fall flower full of color
- The October trip to NYC is on my mind. Constantly. 24/7. I cannot wait. Levain Bakery is right down the block from the place I’m staying in and you bet I’m going to destroy some cookies.
- These patches and pins for the imaginary punk rock jacket I have
- Writing letters to friends/family to help keep in touch. My friend told me the other day that she thinks there’s something lost in modern communication that writing letters can help find - isn’t she smart?
- I am loving this color of yellow lately, I hope it sticks around for a little bit longer so i can stock up on clothes featuring it.
This month includes a lot of oldies - particularly The Rolling Stones. I don’t think ‘Get Off of My Cloud’ ever actually stops being stuck in my head. Heads up that there is explicit language.
If you don’t want to check out the whole thing, here are some highlights.
- Augustana - Boston
- I swear I’m not usually this cheesy, but it was stuck in my head for a couple of days
- Ben Kweller - I Gotta Move
- Bleachers - I Wanna Get Better
- Childish Gambino - III. Urn
- Frank Turner - Recovery
- Hanson - Penny & Me
- you read that right
- Julien Baker - Appointments
- she released a new single !!!
- Khalid - Location
- warning: addicting
- Listener - Building Better Bridges
- Pixies - Hey
- The Rolling Stones - 19th Nervous Breakdown
- Young Rising Sons - High
goals from last month
- Keep this website updated (!!)
- Finish half of my art journal
- Eat minimal sweets at the bakery
- Work on launching an Etsy
- This has been postponed until next month sorrrryyy
- Map out the ‘Ultimate Sister Road Trip to Rhode Island’
- Finish reading The God of Small Things
- Clean out my closet
- De-clutter my room before the move
- Hang out with all of my friends before the move (!!)
- Save ALL the money
- A work in progress
- Be mindful about the food I’m putting into my body (a goal for every month tbh)
- Relearn my camera
- A work in progress, but getting there!
goals for the month
- Make a new home for myself
- Get a job (wow that’s daunting)
- Continue to relearn my camera
- Keep this blog updated
- Try not to get overwhelmed by products
- Make time to do art
- Finish half of my art journal
- Keep in touch with family while away because I have a terrible habit of dropping off the face of the earth
- Explore your new city !!
- Find good coffee
- Be mindful of the food I’m putting into my body
- Actually go to class and do all the homework
- Start saving for a new laptop before the dinosaur I have finally dies
what's inspiring you this month?