I’m a little floored that it’s already November and I already feel behind of this holiday season. Christmas present ideas are already stirring in my head and don’t even get me started on what I’m going to take to friendsgiving because I cannot decide. Luckily this year I’m actually getting to eat Thanksgiving food. It’s been two whole years without it on my end and I don’t know what I’d do if I went another year without some dang stuffing.
October was a great month for me if not a little short. I went on a trip to Boston again to see a great show (Sorority Noise and Citizen) and just last weekend I solo tripped my way to New York City. Expect a separate post on that by the end of this week because I feel like I could talk about it for ages! One tip I will give you: don’t go to Salem in October. Me and a friend attempted it, but it ended up being way too packed for it to seem worth it, so we went to a small park in Salem and got ice cream while walking around near the water. Much better than the crowds in my opinion.
Fall is in full swing too and winter is not far behind! A lot of the trees here in New England are changing colors, but some are starting to lose their leaves completely and I’m not ready for the red and yellows to leave so soon.
This month (or at least the next three weeks) are the final crunch time for my first trimester of junior year. Finals, essays, and project deadlines are approaching quicker than ever, but the Thanksgiving break at the end of it all makes it seem worth it.
I am going to be bummed not going home though. It’s tough being an adult sometimes, missing holidays will never get easier I expect. Plus, I won’t go home until Christmas Eve this year which feels much too far away right now.
Enough sadness though, a new month brings new challenges and I’m ready for them. Saving money for Christmas presents is going to be my number one priority (which means no more trips out of state this month, Hunter).
- New York City on a rainy day.
- I’m not over yellow quite yet, but I am getting more and more partial to deep burgundy and blues.
- Sorry dad if you’re reading this, but I’m getting a tattoo this month.
- I visited The Met in New York and this painting from Van Gogh’s Sunflower study really struck me. Love the deep blue.
- “Look at the amazing things that can happen when you’re honest about even the parts of you that are broken” - this quote by Julien Baker is sitting in my notes right now. When I saw her in concert and she said this, I pulled out my phone immediately t copy it down because I just knew it was something special to remember.
- Fancy pies. Just look at the mastery.
- Juliet, Naked is a book I picked off of the shelves of the airbnb I stayed in this past weekend and I finished the entire thing while on my short visit. Worth a look at if you’re looking for something lighter.
- This recipe for Cracklin’ Chicken looks so good.
- I’ve started to pick up my art journal again and I couldn’t be more ecstatic to be painting again.
This month is a lot of throwbacks to the recent concerts I went to and also a lot of Julien Baker’s new album which is almost an antithesis to her first. It’s heartbreaking in a new way and I’ll never get over her artistry and will never be sorry for how much I hype her up.
Heads up that there is explicit language. If you don’t want to check out the whole thing, here are some highlights.
- Sorority Noise - Fermata
- "Isn't it funny how our half-dead bodies intertwine?"
- Harry Styles - Ever Since New York
- Julien Baker - Televangelist
- "Cause I'm an amputee, with a phantom touch, leaning on an invisible crutch"
- The Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden
- Fleetwood Mac - Songbird
- "For you, the sun will be shining."
- The Hotelier - Two Deliverances
- Petal - Comfort
- Sad Cops - Liam Murphy Holt
- Pinegrove - Aphasia
- Vulfpeck - 1612
- Listener - Falling In Love With Glaciers
- Mom Jeans. - Scott Pilgrim V. My Gpa
- Wilco - She’s a Jar
- Julien Baker - Claws in Your Back
- "I'm better off learning how to be living with demons I've mistaken for saints"
goals from last month
- Finish half of my art journal for real this time
- Will I ever cross this off?
- Learn balance between school and work and blogging
- A work in progress
- Save money !!
- I saved money that I then spent
- Be mindful of the food I’m putting into my body
- Continue to keep up with homework
- Be ahead of the game with projects / tests
- Don’t eat a bunch of cake at work
- Don’t drink coffee every single day
- Send thank you notes
goals for the month
- Return your library books, Hunter!
- Start Christmas gift lists
- Eat more mindfully because you definitely slipped this month whoops
- Finish half of your art journal dammit
- Don’t kill the plants
- Drink enough water every day
- Get gifts ready for certain people
- Save money!!