It’s December first and all I can think is ‘Christmas’. It’s like a mantra in my head that won’t quiet down. As I type this, I’m sat in my living room with a newly formed Christmas tree in the corner all thanks to the generosity of a co worker. Thanks, Sam, for making our little place at school feel a little bit more like home.
I love the holiday season and this year feels just as magical as ever - and honestly I was a little worried. Being so far away from home and spending Thanksgiving in my school apartment felt foreign, but not unwelcome. Dinner was still good and the extra money I earned working over break will be a nice way to give back to my family this Christmas. I am the crazy person flying home on Christmas Eve though, and that should be interesting. Luckily I don’t have to travel to Boston though and we managed to get tickets right out of Providence, but I might just have to smile through those travel plans.
November was a dream and went by so fast. I got a tattoo though! My first one. It’s just the words ‘i rejoice.’ on the crease of my arm, inspired by my favorite singer. I need reminders every now and then that with all life throws at you, it’s still worth rejoicing and celebrating. I’ve been thinking about it for a long time, but the death of my uncle really pushed me to go get it. It was hard not being able to go home for the funeral, but life can be hard sometimes. I’ll miss a lot of things about my Uncle Daryl, but making biscuits and gravy before my cousins woke up will always be my favorite memory with him.
This month I plan to fill the air with more joy than I can handle, but hopefully not too much that I annoy everyone around me. No promises.
Three and a half more weeks of school and work until home. I think I can handle that.
Happy December 1st, y’all.
- This plant that I can’t name that’s right by the parking lot. It’s drop dead gorgeous in golden hour.
- I splurged and bought a bouquet of flowers (4 dollars at Trader Joe’s hollaaaaa) and I love the life they bring to my room when I’m stuck studying.
- Christmas lights are popping up everywhere!
- This was my spread of Thanksgiving. I ate an entire cheese plate for myself and joined up with other humans for dessert.
- Color wise, I’m torn between reds and greens or icy blues. Maybe icy blues is more early next month though?
- I’m so close to going home and seeing my pups. Bless.
Heads up that there is explicit language. If you don’t want to check out the whole thing, here are some highlights.
- Austin Gibbs - I Like the Ones
- Chance the Rapper - Angels (ft. Saba)
- Gerard Way - Brother
- Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas Is You
- The Homeless Gospel Choir - Depression
- Harry Styles - Kiwi
- Elvis Presley - Blue Christmas
- David Bowie - Life On Mars?
- Macseal - These Things Happen
- The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice
- The Jackson 5 - Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
goals from last month
- Return your library books, Hunter!
- Start Christmas gift lists
- Eat more mindfully because you definitely slipped this month whoops
- Finish half of your art journal dammit
- Don’t kill the plants
- Drink enough water every day
- Get gifts ready for certain people
- Save money!!
- always a goal.
- Put up New York City blog
- it's HERE
goals for the month
- Plan a budget for Christmas / Christmas Break and stick to it
- Love all of my friends out loud
- Leave behind a clean room / house to come back home to
- Don't fall behind in class because you're excited for break
- Drink enough water everyday
- Return your library books!
- Paint more (though I did finally make it halfway in my journal)
- Take more pictures